Wednesday 27 February 2013

Debut


Out Damn Blog! Out I Say!

Probably a weird name for a blog but when I decided to begin blogging I checked out the names and so many of the good ones were already taken. My particular favourites - To blog or not to blog and A blog by any other name had already been snapped up - you have to be fast and I am slow. So it’s Out damn blog…. And I know that loud, cursing title makes me sound as if I have an anger-management problem (or am a bit mad like Lady Macbeth) but anyway, it hasn’t been taken and I’m baggsing it. It sounds like I have an obsession with Shakespeare which isn’t true, more that while teaching it over the years some of the catchier lines have imprinted themselves on my jaded brain. Besides, I can’t think of anything particularly clever or original and I think this name conveys my assertive determination to write a blog.
This is my debut blog and I rush to make a disclaimer to anyone, everyone, (particularly my daughter - Precious Poppet), who I may offend inadvertently (or even advertently) as I write in this blog. My daughter is called Precious Poppet for two reasons, one because she is dear to me and two because she is a high-maintenance kind of girl, a teenager, (poppet is a baby nickname). I hope she won’t sue me when she’s older and realises that her mother has been writing about her, sometimes…err often, in a deleterious light (albeit under a pseudonym). I know it’s been done in America (children suing parents), and I could be wrong but so far I don’t believe it’s happened here in Australia. I really don’t want to be a test case - it wouldn’t reflect well on me as a diligent mother. There’s no point anyway, I’m not rich.
I’ve read lots of blogs and am impressed at the range of topics discussed and insights revealed; it’s amazing the way some people can make the detritus of domestic life so fascinating and funny. I’m not sure I can do this but I think blogging will be fun, unlike exercise (apologies to all those fit people, but it’s just so hard), or alcohol, which is effective and palliative at curbing tension, but which you shouldn’t really overdo; (reading ‘High Sobriety – My Year without Booze’ and it really gets you thinking). I like the diary aspect of a blog; it’s a kind of public journal, where you can engage with others and air all manner of things - get them off your chest, hopefully in a healthy purging and maybe at times, entertaining way.
Anyway, I am taking the blogging step…tentatively poking my toe into cold, deep water – it can’t be that cold and deep when you jump in, surely?

11 comments:

  1. Taking the first step is always the hardest. You'll find it a refreshingly easy way of communicating to others. Looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,so nice to hear your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous writing. sophisticated and witty, just like you !! ( uh oh i'm fawning now , must be starstruck ) seriously though, can't wait for more musings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how lovely, thank you Debra :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog name (title? masthead?)and intro and hope Poppet is entertaining, entertained and totally forgiving. Shall look forward to more witty and perceptive life observations told in your own inimitable style. Congrats on that first dip into the icy blue...and just keep those never-ending ideas coming out (I say!):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...thanks! Quite relieved that Poppet is too self-absorbed to even read this first blog (although I mentioned it to her twice).With her customary eye-roll she mumbled, "Yeh, will look at it later..." Will try to temper brutal reality with kindness (or humour)in all future posts :)

      Delete
  6. Love your first foray into public journal writing!! Concerned that you're reading a book about giving up alcohol though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The operative word being "reading"!! Not entirely putting it into practice...LOL

      Delete
  7. Great blog! Looking forward to reading more! Please blog about poppets reaction to this - I'm pretty sure my mum felt like this about me in my teens but I think she may have been sentenced to the silent treatment for years had she made it public. Nevertheless it's entertaining stuff, so if you don't mind the hard-to-live-with consequences, I'd love to know more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes do tell us more about Poppet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any other offspring to tell us about? :)

      Delete